Monday, June 27, 2016

Cute as a button!

This morning I walked downstairs after four hours of sleep and came face to face with another Boonie! He looked at me for a second and at first I thought he was one of the french guys we heard were coming for the semester but then he asked me if I was from appstate. It is such a relief to see another semi-familar face in a place so different. As we ate breakfast I gave him the low down of our trip here so far and asked him his hopes in studying here. After a quick breakfast it was off to the polyclinic. The first case was familar, it was the doberman that came in last week with GDV (x-ray seen on a previous post). He ended up having the surgery at a bigger hospital but because they did not give him the right dosage of antibiotics he developed an infection. He looked like he was in a lot of pain and the owner was obviously distressed. I cannot imagine how it must feel to send your dog to a sterile environment and there still be problems developing post-operatively. He will be treated with a series of heavy antibiotics for three days and if it does not make a difference Dr. Prasanna agreed to open him up. The next case we saw was a tumor on a small older dog. It turns out that the tumor is treatable with chemo. The cancer was caused by a STD and will be treated once a week for three weeks. Today I saw a dog that was being treated for E. Canis (an aggressive bacteria infection). He was administered Doxycycline which is what Conner and and I are taking as an anti-malaria drug. The drug will upset your stomach if you don't eat food (a harsh fact I learned last night when it made me vomit in less than thirty mins after taking it). The next case was one of Hypopym, no blood circulation to the cornea. To get the circulation working Dr. Prasanna sewed a button on the eye to keep it closed. He said the button puts less pressure on the eye and is less irritating. He will remove the button in a week and if it hasn't gotten better he will remove the eye (wishing so badly I could see the follow-up). The last case before it slowed down was a foot amputation on a chicken who had developed gang green. No anesthetic was needed because the foot was not functioning and had no blood flow.

Button eyes! 

The foot of this chicken was close to falling off. 

When I got back from the polyclinic, I pointed Dominic (app student) in the direction of the ATM and finally napped. I rushed over to the clinic later in the day to see a castration! Dr. Prasanna informed me that it is much easier to do a castration than a spay because there is minimum risk and not as much blood. After the procedure, several puppies and kittens came in for vaccines. It is still so nice to see puppies that are healthy and parvo-free. Dr. Prasanna gave me some coffee tonight to help with the nausea I had been feeling today, I don't think I will ever get over how nice everyone is here.




Post surgery pic! 

No comments:

Post a Comment