Tuesday, June 28, 2016

My last Tuesday.

During breakfast this morning I was greeted by yet another American! His name is Chris and he is a professor at Davidson college. He teaches ecology and actually knows some of the people in the biology department at App. Seeing someone somewhat familiar in a completely unfamiliar place like Trichy is extremely refreshing. I wasn't able to talk to him too long but he did say this was his fifth time coming to India (so jealous). When I arrived to the polyclinic it was yet another slow day. One of the more interesting cases of today was a dog who had developed a small infection due to a misinjection of a vaccine. The vaccine was supposed to be given subcutaneously (under the skin) but was given in the muscle instead. The infection was only midly irritating and did not pose much harm to the dog. Dr. Prasanna said that if he is given antibiotics it will go away in a matter of days. The owner said the mistake had been done by one of the interns at the polyclinic and instead of scolding them Dr. Prasanna just laughed it off. He said that if he scolded them for every small mistake they would become fearful of him and hide their work (good point). The rest of the day was full of vaccines and x-rays. Good news is that there were only four cases of parvo today at the polyclinic! Although days like these can be a bit boring, I still wouldn't want to be anywhere else. 
The little guy with the man-made irritation

Before heading off to the private clinic, I walked around Trichy with the other Appalachian student for a couple of hours. Walking around this place makes me realize how much I've grown to enjoy it here. I think that it will be hard to leave but I have no doubt that I will find my way back here. At the private clinic there were two cases of parvo and two cases that were there for vaccines (both sets were adorable puppies). The last case of the day was a puppy who had a broken leg and needed a splint. I had seen a splint done in the polyclinic using a stick and cotton. In the private clinic, Dr. Prasanna hand made the splint out of a cast. He said that he would not use a straight splint because it does not encourage the correct architecture of the leg. Seeing him make the splint and the final product was astonishing. It was such a simple way to preserve the shape of the leg. Not a day goes by that I am not impressed with the procedures done in each clinic. 
These cute siblings were here for vaccinations 

She was being treated for parvo. 

This is the hand made mold for the splint

The fully functional product!

No comments:

Post a Comment