Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Squat and pee

When I arrived at the polyclinic today everyone commented on the salwar I wore. One of the doctors commented that I was becoming an Indian girl (finally). The first case we saw today was a goat. Upon first glance I could tell that something was not right. It was very weak, unable to even sit up and was frothing at the mouth. Upon further examination Abi told me that it looked like poisoning due to the dilation of the pupils and the convulsions. For treatment the goat was given an general anecdote because there is no way of knowing exactly what kind of poison it ingested. Next I observed a cow with mastitis. Mastitis is a gland infection that is very common in dairy cows. It is usually caused by the inflammation of the udder tissue but can be caused by a handful of other things as well. While cattle have this disease their milk cannot be consumed. For treatment antibiotics are administered for the infection and inflammation. After examination of this cow I watched some of the students from Madras veterinary college try their hand at insemination. Dr. Abi told me that in their college they hardly ever did inseminations in cattle. Most of the inseminations done were on dogs or goats. In the field it is not common to inseminate a dog or goat because sex often rears an 100% pregnancy success. In cattle artificial insemination is favored because of good genes. The sperm factories are collecting semen from healthy genetically favorable cows and buffalo meaning insemination is less of a gamble for the genes of the offspring. Tomorrow I will be attempting to learn how to palpate the cervix in a cow; I couldn't be more excited!! The rest of the day went by pretty slow in the clinic except when I had to go to the bathroom. Folks, I finally used a traditional Indian toilet and it was kind of interesting. I had to squat really low because the toilet is underground. The good news is my legs got a good stretch! When I returned from the bathroom experience of a lifetime there was an X-ray on screen of a pregnant doberman. We all took turns counting the spines of the babies and came up with at least five pups (Congratulations new Momma!). The last case I saw at the clinic was two police dogs that came in for vaccines. One was a lab and the other was a doberman and both were very well trained. I would have never guessed upon initial meeting that the lab was a police dog because it was so obese. The policemen said that they only use the doberman for intense crime situations and the lab for bomb sniffing because of the physical conditions of the dogs. 

In case you were wondering this is my name in Tamil. Well kind of I think they actually spelled "Jazz Phillips" 

This is the explosive search police dog. As you can see she is in no shape to be chasing down bad guys.

Hello toilet! 
After a much needed nap I headed over to the private clinic. The first case that came in was a German shephard with some skin issues. It had patches of dry skin all over its body. After a skin scraping it was determined to have mites and a fungal infection. The next several cases to come in were my personal favorite: puppies! Most all the puppies came in for vaccines. The doctor at the private clinic told me that the needles were better quality here than at the polyclinic and were made so the dogs feel as little pain as possible. he gave me three to take to the clinic with me tomorrow and note the difference. He said the main point of the procedures and nice equipment at the private clinic is to ensue the dogs aren't scared to come back. At the polyclinic a lot of dogs are terrified of the needles and procedures. I think because it is government funded the primary concern is not necessarily comfort but treatment and cost.  
One of the many cute faces at the private clinic today! 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment