Saturday, June 4, 2016

Day one: Incredible

Dr. Sam met Conner and I at the airport as Dr. Relton could not make it. He was a very nice man and introduced us to our driver for the remainder of the trip, Raja. Driving in Trichy is unique to any kind of driving I've ever experienced in my life. As we pulled out of the airport, the road became flooded with bikes, trucks, and other cars. There are no lanes like there are in the US the road is just one big lane. Bikes zip through little cracks in the traffic and it seemed like the idea of driving in Trichy is anything goes. I saw families on motorbikes with no helmets or protection, I saw buses so packed I was not sure how they managed to all find a spot, and men walking across the road with no fear in their eyes. Looking out of the windows there was not one spot that was the same as the one before, I look forward and there's a man selling bananas and then a group of people hanging out followed by a cart pulled by two cows.
By the time we reached our hostile (dormitory) we saw it was filled with boys around the age of ten in uniforms. It was like a domino effect when Conner and I were unloading our luggage one head turned after another all eyes glued on us. It made me wonder if this is what a zoo animal felt like. The bright side is when a little boy looked at me and said, "hallo girl" when I smiled at him and when I said hello back he nearly fainted, it warmed my heart. We then went to the international cafeteria and ate lunch which had some of the freshest ingredients I had ever had. They had this amazing cauliflower and rice mixture that was to die for. By the time we got to rest I felt so overwhelmed I almost had a bit of a breakdown but then I sat down closed my eyes and told myself this experience is going to be great. When I woke our RA/ warden Solomon took us around campus and bought us some tea and juice. As we were walking on the side walk I asked Solomon how we were supposed to cross the road and he just looked at me and said, "It is VERY difficult". By some miracle we made it across traffic to the other side of the road where we met our coordinator Dr. Relton. He is a very sweet man and invited us to his son's wedding next weekend which of course we accepted. Solomon then took us to his gym where we were required to take off our shoes and everyone was seen lifting weights barefoot which made me a bit nervous. We then headed back to campus for dinner and on the way I saw a mother cow and her calf nestled comfortably on the side of the road (Don't worry I did not pet them). It was comforting to see how calm the animals were in midst of the chaos.
As we approached the dining hall five of the boys we met before asked Conner and me our names and where we were from to which I responded with a double fist to the air "America!" they all giggled and put their arms in the air and said, "we are from Trichy!". After the number of boys started increasing all wanting to shake my hand I quickly got a bit overwhelmed and withdrew to eat dinner, which was also delicious.
I am very hopeful for the next twenty eight days seeing how much joy and excitement this one has already brought me.
Mom and calf on the side of the road in Trichy 

No comments:

Post a Comment