Thursday, June 30, 2016

The importance of timing

The polyclinic today was very slow. We had another case come in similar to yesterdays. The mother goat was carried in and she was so exhausted she could not even hold her head up. When Dr. Prasanna told me they would be pulling kids out, I was very excited. After yesterday's adventure I really wanted to see it again and it looked like I would be able to. Little did I know but this case was very different than yesterday's case. Apparently the goat had endured some kind of accident and the fetuses inside were dead and decomposing. The infection in the uterus lead to a very unpleasant smell and a cesspool of danger for the mother. Sahana pulled the first goat out easily and the bones seemed nonexistant. The kid looked almost unrecognizable as a goat. I then watched as she tried to pull the other one out. The thing she pulled out was a pink mass which I later found out ws a part of the mother. The uterus had been puncutured and part of the mother goat was flooding into it. That's when people started moving to get the mother more fluids and try to save her life. The infection which I believe they said was mastitis would be able to kill the mother in minutes if the uterus burst. It took less than five minutes for the mother to die. When I asked Sahana the cause of death she said that the other fetus inside the goat had decomposed to the point of just being broken bits of a body and that one of the fragmented bones must have punctured the uterus when she was reaching in and grabbing the first fetus. When I ran into Prasanna he asked me why I looked so dull. I said because of the death and he explained how it was normal for the fetus to die. I had to interrupt him and tell him that the mother had died and he was shocked. When he went and examined the body he told me that she could have been saved if they had just brought her in one day sooner. I think as a vet, timing can be one of the best and worst things when treating a case.

The mother goat, obviously very exhausted

After work today, Sahana and Sangamitra took me shopping! I am not going to lie when I say I love shopping here. Everything is so afforable which can be a little bit dangerous. It's easy to reason with yourself when buying something once you convert it into dollars! It was so nice going shopping with them because it was just like hanging out with some friends (who love the earrings here as much as I do). We were shopping for over three hours by the time we were done! I am incredibly thankful for these lovely women. They kept telling me not to forget about them when I get home which was so sweet and I promised I wouldn't as long as they sent me their wedding invitations in a few years. Tomorrow they want to take me to a temple in Tanjou (I hope it works out)! 
The squad


No comments:

Post a Comment