Monday, June 6, 2016

My name is Jazz

First day at the vet clinic, they picked us up at 930 from campus and I was dropped off at 1015. I first met the head of the clinic and for the life of me I cannot remember his name but Dr. Sam did poke some fun at me for not being able to pronounce it. He explained that I will be there in the morning from 8:45 am to 12:45 pm and possibly come back in the afternoon but he seemed unsure about it. As I walked up to the front of the clinic the first thing I saw was a large white cow (kangayam) tied to a tree. There were three stalls outside the clinic each holding a cow. When I walked in I was introduced to the three doctors there and when they asked my name I said, "Jess" to which the doctor responded, "Oh like the music! That is so easy to pronounce". I just agreed and said to myself that Jazz is close enough. I will be sure to bring a notebook tomorrow so I can write down all of their names and do my best to practice pronunciation. They explained to me that they were very short staffed and apologized that they would not be able to explain a lot of what they were doing and I would just need to observe. One of the first cases I observed was a pug who had a check up on her wounds following a c-section. They squeezed her wounds to check for bleeding or discharge (just blood came out). They cleaned her wounds, gave her an IV, gave her owners instructions on how to keep it clean for the following week, and sent her on her way. Everything in the clinic is done relatively fast (and free)! The next several cases were giving dogs several vaccines such as rabies, parvo, etc. I was offered to administer the vaccine which I declined but I believe I will be more assertive and confident tomorrow. A very skinny Great Dane came in later during the day and all of her vertebrae on her back and tail were visible. For treatment they administered a vaccine to increase appetite and made a follow-up appointment. Some of the dogs did not respond very well to shots and had to be held down during administration. One young skiddish dog kept flinching away from the needle and at one point had to muzzled while the vaccine was administered as quickly as possible. As the morning died down I was served tea and told to take a seat. I took a seat at the head of the table and one of the doctors told me that I was not allowed to ever sit at the head of the table! I am not sure if it was because I am a woman or because I am not a doctor. During the down time I learned that the polyclinic was open 24/7 and there would always be a doctor on staff for any kind of emergency. The youngest doctor there (and the most friendly) just recently got her DVM in September and was spearheading a project to set up animal ambulances, which has never been done in any part of India before. She seemed very excited but nervous about how the construction of the vehicle had been coming.
She also told me that there would be interns coming in later in the week. Originally there had been four interns but a day before yesterday their most prospective student had been hit riding his motor bike in traffic and died, which is actually very common (as terrible as that sounds). The doctors were very interested in how long it took to get your DVM in the US. I told them it took 8 years including receiving your BS. In India it only takes 5 years!
When it was time to observe again I saw the biggest and loudest rooster that I've ever laid eyes on. They explained to me that he was used for fighting. There were also several chickens and a pigeon all from which were pulled from out of shopping bags or as I like to call them surprise bags. There were also a few pregnant cows seen but when they were trying to do an ultrasound the internet was down so the owners had to come back another day. When Dr. Sam came back at 1230 I said my goodbyes to the staff and had a very relaxing day back at the dorm. I desperately wanted to do something during the day but Conner was gone and Solomon was no where to be found. I feel very safe for the most part in the city but with the attention I draw I am not confident to leave the campus alone just yet. Fingers crossed for another exciting and confident day tomorrow!
   
Puppy being treated for an infection which caused her to loose her hair

This guy was very loud and apparently a good fighter.

My view during IV administrations 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jazz. It's really nice to read your experiences in India. Hope it is a fruitful one. May the Lord God Almighty bless & be with you in all your Endeavours - Dr. Sam Deva Asir RM, Asst. Professor of Social Work, Bishop Heber College, Tiruchirappalli, India

    ReplyDelete