Friday, June 10, 2016

One more day until the wedding!

This morning started off as a strange as they come. Our driver, Raja has two kids in secondary school and today he wanted to stop by their school to show them the passenger he had with him (me). This also happened earlier this week with Raja's sister. We are just so exotic in this place it's strange to have the shoe on the other foot! After he dropped me off at the clinic it only took me a few moments to discover that no one had arrived yet but many patients were waiting. It only took a few moments after I sat down for owners to start approaching me and assuming I was one of the doctors (I wish). All I kept saying was I understand and give me ten minutes as I prayed that someone would show up soon. Finally after eight excruciating minutes Dr. Abi arrived. The first case was a young goat that would not even stand up it was so fatigued. The owner said the instance occurred overnight. It showed no signs of poisoning (there wasn't a fever) so it was given fluids and an anti-inflammatory for preventative measures in case it was a serious case in disguise. The treatment finally started working because the goat started crying. It was actually a relieving sound to hear because it meant the goat had actually gained enough strength to scream out in distress.
Goat that was very fatigued. 

I saw a three legged dog today! When it first came in I thought that the leg would be the problem but it actually turned out to be a yeast infection but I did find out that the dog lost its leg due to a train accident. After an antibiotic and anti fungal vaccine were given the dog was good as new.
Don't worry folks he was just being treated for a yeast infection! 

An older dog came in today with severe limping. After X-ray (which I helped with!) it was found to have a severe fracture on its hip bone. Due to the lack of resources at the hospital surgery cannot be performed to 'put the pieces back together'. The doctor was explaining to me that there isn't even screws at the clinic so any kind of specific surgery including ortho could not be performed. The dog was given some steroids for pain management and referred to another clinic.
If you look close enough you can see the clean break along the hip bone. 

One of the coolest cases I have seen yet came in today. This dog came in with a giant mass on its face obstructing its vision in the left eye. Upon first glance it was assumed to be a tumor but after x-ray it was discovered to be just an abscess. The x-ray showed no shadowing which is characteristic of a tumor and instead saw what they call 'puss pockets'. The dog was given an antibiotic to start flushing out the wound until it would come back in a week or so for a doctor to squeeze the rest out (I sure hope I am there for that).

The swelling was so bad that if surgery did occur and it was a tumor the doctors were very certain he would lose his eye. 

A big lesson I learned today was that sometimes it is best just to please the owners. A calf came in with a break in its upper pelvic region. Due to the lack of resources there was nothing the staff could do except refer them to a college or private clinic. The owner begged for something/anything. In the end the doctors put a cast on the animal. Other cases were saw today but the rest were pretty routine.
When we got back for lunch the president of the University and his staff were going to also be eating there. I took this as an oportune time to embarrass myself (per usual) and saw a mosquito flying my way without even thinking about it I slammed my hands together as hard as I could in attempt to kill the thing. All eyes found there way to me as I turned bright red and apologized. Our RA Solomon was laughing so hard he cried (at least someone got some joy out of it). After lunch Conner and I ventured outside campus and walked around Trichy. We hit up Ibaco, a hotspot among other Appalachian State students and I have to admit I was pretty impressed. We then walked around to different shops for over an hour and by the time I got back to dorm I was covered in sweat. I showered and got my zaris from the tailor (spoiler alert: they are beautiful and tight). I can compare the experience of putting the top on to putting my hand up a cow: doable but difficult. I cannot wait anymore for this wedding the pictures will be coming tomorrow!!
I scream you scream! 

This is a regular sight seen in Trichy. Cows and goats are regularly eating trash.

Medicines available at the clinic as you can see the options are very limited and they often have to reuse needles and IV tubes. They sanitize them using boiling hot water. 

Strange Fruit. 

This lady tried to sell Conner her bananas as we were walking by. 


No comments:

Post a Comment